Tuesday, August 10, 2010

August Prompt

Has your involvement this summer in community-based work impacted your motivation to engage further in community issues, research or service?

Most definitely. This project has opened up a world of new possibilities for me. In particular, it has made me realize that instead of pursuing an MSW in Social Work, I would rather obtain a PhD in Clinical Psychology. I never thought that I truly love research; however, I have found that when you find your true interest (trauma and kids), the research becomes enjoyable...fun. In addition, I have really loved creating a coping skills treatment program and measuring its results. I am hoping to continue testing this program, with more formal measures, in the fall. With a PhD, I will have the capability to create treatment programs targeted for minority youth (a section of our population which to this day the mental health field does not adequately serve). We need empirically supported methods for African Americans, Latinos, Asians, etc. To say that a program tested on Caucasians will apply to all other ethnic groups is simply not acceptable. Furthermore, we also need to be looking at socio-economic status. As in many instance, far to often, low-income, minority groups find themselves left behind in the dust (their voices forgotten). The future must work to stop this trend. There is initial work out there, but we need more people to help in this challenge. I hope to be one of these forerunners, working and collaborating within the field to create new empirically-supported treatment programs to help minority youth.

What assistance will be most helpful to you in the fall semester in wrapping up your Bryan fellowship?

The support and guidance that I have received from everyone in regards to this project has been remarkable. I could not have asked for a better network of support. I really cannot think of anything else that I will need, other than the same level of encouragement and care that I have received these last 3 months.

Please share recommendations you would have for future Bryan Fellows knowing what you know now.

My biggest recommendation would be to make sure that you establish a relationship and form of communication with your mentors. I met face-to-face with my community and faculty mentor every week and would email/call about 2 to 3 times a week. Whenever a challenge arose, I knew that I would have support and backup to overcome the issue at hand.

Also, make sure that you pick a topic you find highly interesting. This project will take up a lot of your time and energy. Find something you are passionate about...and it will be worth every minute of it :) I loved every minute of this project. It's a great feeling to love what you do while also making a difference in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment